Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sunday Links : September 4, 2011 Edition


I don't think I've ever explicitly stated my blogging schedule in full. I post new items every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  Every other week, the Wednesday post previews the new Dissecting the Short Story entry and Friday is the full dissection. Sundays I post links to new articles from the week that I found interesting and also recap the week on my blog.

Now, to the links!


"You Are Not Tolstoy or Dickens" (Rachelle Gardner) - This short post reminds writers that what worked for the bulk of readers a hundred years ago might not resonate with today's audience. There's a lively discussion in the comments section, too, with some people elaborating on Rachelle's points and others offering an alternative perspective.

"Whither the Short Story" (LB's Blog / Lawrence Block) - Regular readers of this blog will find my inclusion of this link a no-brainer. It's written by Lawrence Block, one of my favorite authors, and it deals with the market for short fiction which is my current main writing focus. Block paints an optimistic picture of the future of the short story in the ePublishing era. I do wonder, though, how well selling short stories at 99 cents will work for newer authors when they have to compete with novels selling at the same price point.

"Happy Writers; Deciding to Be Positive" (Between Fact and Fiction / Natalie Whipple) - This is as much life advice as writing advice, but it really resonated with me and since so many beginning writers deal with frustration and self-doubt, it seemed like an appropriate addition to this list.

"Trope of the Day: Fantasy Slurs" (L. B. Gale, Fantasy Author) - A nice examination of using the human tendency to create slurs for others to add depth to your fantasy world.

"Choosing What Genre You Should Write In" (Sarah Ketley's Writing Blog) - Sarah considers advice to stick to one genre to build a writing "brand" and talks about how she'll be approaching that advice for the moment.

Additionally, here's a recap of the posts from this week on my blog:

"The Seinfeld Chain" - Monday, I wrote about using a productivity tip from Jerry Seinfeld to help keep myself writing every day. Lots of comments on this one, including a few from writers who found techniques like this didn't work for them.

"Dissection Preview, Getting to Know You, September Goals" - A bit of a hodgepodge with the preview of this week's dissection, six fun questions so my readers and I could learn a bit more about each other, and documentation of my writing goals for the month.

"Dissecting the Short Story: 'Less Stately Mansions' by Rob Chilson" - This week's detailed analysis of a short story is for a science fiction story from the July/August 2011 issue of Fantasy & Science Fiction.

And that's the week. I hope it's been productive for everyone and that the week to come will be even better!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Now to hop over to the different links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachelle's post sounds entirely too amazing and I will have to check it out. Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, everyone. Glad you're enjoying the links!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these links. I'm going to have a look at some of them, especially Rachelle's. I don't think I've read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great links. I appreciate that they touch on various topics as well.

    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Allie & Angela, very glad that you liked the links!

    ReplyDelete